Tuesday, April 14, 2009

job interviews

You know how you can sometimes just tell?

A couple of weeks back I took part in a phone interview and was subsequently told that one other person and I were being invited to in-person interviews. Great 50-50 chance, I'll take those odds.

The interview was delayed, in fact, I thought they changed their mind or something but I finally got my appointment.

I did my research, showed up early, engaged the receptionist in pleasant chit chat. This particular interview was a 2 person panel, interviewing me. The HR person and the individual that would have been my manager.

This person could not have been any less involved or dis-interested in the process. She might as well not even have shown up. She was unresponsive to questions, except to correct what the HR person had told me in the previous phone interview. She sat there like a sleepy frump.

Right away, I just knew I wasn't getting this job. And that affects your energy level during the interview.

I assume she either did not like me on sight or may have already seen the other candidate and was predisposed to that individual. Whatever the case was, she did not like me. This job required two basic skill sets, both of which I have. The one skill set was General Accounting knowledge. I started my career working in Accounting positions and have a strong foundation in that area but haven't really used it in 10 years or more (other then to train accounting modules). The other aspect was training in which my experience is extensive and current.

And yet the reason I was not considered, as given by her, was that I lacked training experience, they were more then happy with my accounting knowledge. WTF??? I was not given a chance to rebutt her reasons.

So I didn't get the job and it's back to the drawing board for me.

My frustration levels mount as the economy sinks.

Decisions regarding the sale of our condo will have to be made soon. Very very soon.

No comments: